Tuesday, May 09, 2006

If he wasn't insecure when he started then he sure will be now

In Mark Oaten's Sunday Times write-up he complained that:

“I was turning 40 and I really felt that I was losing my youth. The problem was undoubtedly compounded by my dramatic loss of hair in my late thirties... This really knocked me for six. Any television appearance would result in a barrage of e-mails, not about issues I’d raised, but about my lack of hair. Whether supportive or not, they all asked what had happened to my hair. It’s perhaps not surprising that I became more and more obsessed by its disappearance. For me it was a public sign that my youth had ended.”

If he were insufficiently insecure about his hair then over the last two days almost every news source on the planet (well, maybe not Al-Jazeera) have printed articles about whether mid-life crises are triggered by baldness, whether mid-life crises are triggered by baldness, whether Mark Oaten might be gay rather than just bald (clock the Dr Who references), someone's opinion of their own baldness and the link of baldness to self-esteem. The Grauniad especially seems to be having a field-day; maybe sour grapes. It's at moments like this that I'm glad I'm a woman... although I suppose if Mark Oaten were a woman in public life and had been forced to worry about his dress code (see Pauline Prescott and Cherie Blair) and weight (Cherie Blair) as well as his hairstyle then perish the thought what sort of things he might have got up to.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:07 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a revolting excuse for adultery! This isn't a man talking! It's pathetic. As a baldy of 15 years I enjoy being bald. As you say women don't get bald. Men do. Great.

     
  • At 12:55 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I started going bald in my early twenties. It does cause angst but I went the way william hague eventually did and shaved it all off.

    During this period I was never slightly inclined to pay two rent boys to shit on me.

    Am I weird?

     
  • At 1:52 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Will the next stage of the Oaten Rehabilitation Master Plan be an announcement that he is suing the person who told him that applying ...ahem... manure to his head would make his hair grow back?

     
  • At 7:28 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    More to the point he seems not to want to be a mp

    He talks about how much pressure he was under how he was swept away by others demands on him etc

    Sounds like a tory gain

     
  • At 12:34 am , Blogger Chris Palmer said...

    What I found more worrying about the article was the lying and the deception - namingly hiding the romp from his wife. He claimed that he had burried the memories deep down and had effectively forgotten the events. However, the trigger that caused him to tell Belinda, was when he was caught out by the News Of The World. ie. If he hadn't been caught, he would never have said a word.

    Sickening.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home