Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Haltemprice by-election candidate calls for EU referendum

More than ten years after ex-Tory MP Walter Sweeney lost his Vale of Glamorgan seat, he is making a comeback by standing in the Haltemprice and Howden by-election.

So why has he chosen to re-enter national politics? And why is he standing as an independent against Tory MP David Davis?

Paul Linford suggests a revenge match.

I had to ask...

Mr Sweeney tells me:

Ma chere Femme de Resistance,

Thanks for email.

I decided to stand because DD resigned on (in my opinion) the wrong
point of principle about the loss of civil liberties. Most of our liberties are
being lost as a result of our membership of the EU, and not because of the poor
performance of our own Parliament. I am standing as an Independent to campaign
for a fairly funded referendum on our membership of the E.U.. I hope to pick up
votes from Liberal, pr-EU voters who are not afraid of a fair debate, as well as
Eurosceptics form all parties and none.


Yours sincerely,

Walter Sweeney

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home