Thursday, February 09, 2006

Two reasons to be worried.

The most worrying thing about the poll on the right-hand side of this blog (apart from the options) is that 111 people think they are Salman Rushdie...

...I am also a bit perturbed that floppy-haired stud (not my opinion - apparently he has something of a female following) Boris Johnson agrees with me about New Labour:

Lefties are fundamentally interested in coercion and control, and across British society you can see the huge progress they are now making in achieving their objectives: in the erosions of free speech and civil liberties that are taking place under this government, in the ever more elaborate regulation of the workplace, the bans on hunting, smacking, smoking, the demented rules about the numbers of children you may take in a swimming pool, the proposed plan to tag your car to see where you have been, Prescott's mad spy satellites to see if you have built an unauthorised conservatory.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:11 pm , Blogger Tristan said...

    Boris often says things I find myself broadly agreeing with.
    He is definitely one of those Tories who I would consider a liberal in the broad sense, or at least a Whig.

    And that is the problem with leftists and why calls for the LibDems to move to the left disturb me.

     
  • At 4:53 pm , Blogger Femme de Resistance said...

    And that is the problem with leftists and why calls for the LibDems to move to the left disturb me.

    Yeah. On one hand, 'right' seems to mean 'I eat babies' these days so I don't want to be 'right-wing'. On the other, I don't want to associate myself with 'the left' as Boris describes it.

    Hence, why I just call myself a 'liberal' or an 'economic liberal' since liberalism tends to be applied purely to 'social liberals' in the UK.

    LibertyCat has tried to convince me that my dislike of 'right-wing' is irrational and I should be 'centre-right'. But I'm sticking with 'economic liberal' and avoiding the left/right spectrum entirely. Centre-right suggests I still tred on the starving poor on the way out of the opera... but I tred carefully.

     
  • At 8:27 am , Blogger Femme de Resistance said...

    You'll find that according to Chris Lightfoot's survey, conventional 'left-wing' is associated with anti-war.

    Example here

    Anyway, I'm sure you'd agree it was slightly more complex than 'leaving Saddam Hussain in power'. If leaving brutal dictators in power is 'right-wing' then Labour is a very confused party since Mr Mugabe is still in office.

     
  • At 8:29 am , Blogger Femme de Resistance said...

    http://www.politicalsurvey2005.com/scripts/quiz?s=CCLAKACFCEBBACCBBEADADEAEEDDDDBEBDDDBDADCA

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home