Saturday, October 11, 2008

Anti-consumerism has a point

This week, I interviewed a group of anti-consumerist squatters who were trying to set up a money-free social centre.

I thought about them when I saw this picture gallery in the Guardian. It should be retitled: "The credit crunch: Continue buying unnecessary stuff... but for less cash."

Do cash-strapped families really need £30 (each - I checked) scatter cushions? And how are these £30 (each) cushions a bargain?

For a REAL bargain, Wilkinson offers a sleek, cord number for £4.99 or visit Argos to buy two sets of appliqu floral cushion covers and four cushions for just £38! Yes, that's FOUR cushions for slightly more than the price of ONE!

3 Comments:

  • At 12:09 pm , Blogger Andy said...

    Fucking hell, the Guardian's weekend lifestyle guff really is ludicrous, isn't it? I am constantly amazed that they don't seem to realise how ludicrous this kind of item must seem to at least half of their readers.

     
  • At 1:26 pm , Blogger Liberal Polemic said...

    "Do cash-strapped families really need £30... scatter cushions?"

    I don't know. But neither do you. "Consumerism" would be impossible without free choice. If they don't need the cushions they won't buy them.

    As to whether they are a bargain at £30, that rather depends how much one has and how much oen needs them.

     
  • At 11:19 pm , Blogger Femme de Resistance said...

    I wasn't making some philosophical comment about whether £30 cushions should be encouraged.

    I thought the Guardian was ridiculous saying they were a 'bargain' for those tightening their belts in the credit crunch.

    I picked scatter cushions because, unlike chairs, I'm not sure they're ever a 'necessity'.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home