Wednesday, September 17, 2008

NaNoWriMo: Anyone fancy joining in?

In 2005, a friend joined 60,000 people worldwide all trying to write a 50,000 novel (or part of one) in only a month.

This ordeal, the condition for 'winning' National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) was long forgotten until I discovered NaNoWriMo was still tweeting away in cyberspace.

Far from being an isolated event, NaNoWriMo has apparently grown year-on-year until, last year, more than 100,000 people spent November ignoring their housework and wrecking their keyboards.

So, since November is only a month away, I'm debating whether to give it a try. My friend, whose unfinished reimagining of the Arthurian legend from Kay's point of view was a NaNoWriMo-beating 50,011 words, attributes his successful attempt to LiveJournalling.

He tells me that the fear of being berated by well-wishers if he failed to meet his approximately 1,667 words a day target drove him onwards over the finished line.

Me? I'm sceptical. I'm concerned readers stumbling upon my incoherent outpourings might think it's supposed to be any good since, as you may imagine, the complete-in-30-days approach to novel writing tends to focus on quantity at the expense of minor things like plot and believeable dialogue.

In the meantime, does anyone out there fancy joining me?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home